Sunday, March 10, 2013

Silver Maple Flower Buds - When Exactly Will They Burst?

Silver Maple
Photo by Dean Gugler, via Flickr

What: Around town, silver maple branches are studded with buds. But unlike the Flickr image above, buds are not opening just yet. While on a walk, I noticed underfoot a little cluster of red buds that had fallen to the ground. I didn't have my camera with me so I searched Flickr to find this picture above. The flower pictured here was photographed on March 12, 2012 and the fact that it's further along in opening is demonstrative of last year's aberrational March weather.
Where: South Minneapolis, Nokomis neighborhood. I don't think there are any silver maples in the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, but this observation motivates me to scout the park to identify tree species and notice the first flowering phenomena.
When: Sunday, March 10
Observers: Abbie and Scott
Conditions: More puddles than pavement

1 comment:

  1. I see the first open buds on silver maple trees in South Minneapolis on Monday, April 15.

    ReplyDelete